Tuesday, April 10, 2012

on spiritual matters

I am a Christian.  I would even go so far as to say I am a born again Christian, even though that has negative connotations in our culture.  But it is what I am; let it be said for the record.  But let it also be said that I am becoming less and less comfortable associating with the right-wing, conservative, fundamental, evangelical subculture.  I find that subculture extreme and excessive in nearly all things. Come on, helicopter egg drops? Smoking stages? Campuses for thousands? Really?

I'm not so sure this is what Jesus meant when he said to Peter, "build my Church."

Fact is, the North American Church spends millions of dollars on promotion, presentation, pastoral and staff support while the Asian and African Church starve.  Not to mention the myriad of social injustices that plagues humanity today.  Injustices such as poverty, AIDS/HIV, the oppression and abuse of women, and the orphan crisis, just to name a few.  Injustices that I believe as Christians, as the Church, should be our focus and priority.

This is what I read in my Bible:
  Matthew declares our 'acts of righteousness' as giving to the needy, praying, and fasting. 
  Micah tells us to act justly, love mercy, and walk humbly with God.
   James says true religion looks after orphans and widows and guards against corruption.
  And Jesus himself says we have but two commandments; to love God and to love others.

I dare say that God is not pleased with our collective indulgence while the needy elsewhere goes without.

Am I the only one who sees this? 

1 comment: